Thursday, November 09, 2017

Move-mber: my FUPA prevention program

Anyone else deeply affected by the seasons? November is a tough month for me, living in the Northwest. Colds and flus are spreading around (already got over one!), it's chilly, it's grey, it's dark early and late...just hole-up weather in general. This makes getting outside to swim, or just getting OUT much more of an effort than any other time of the year. I have committed to work out every day of this month, whether it's a swim, gym circuit, hike or dancing. I'm on day 9 and it's been so fun!

So far in the mix: walking five miles, an ecstatic dance session, and multiple pool and gym sessions. Rather than make excuses, I'm burning it up! I'm not willing to "diet" beyond eating sensibly, and we really do eat well. I'm not a snacker, not a binger and refuse to make this month MOO-vember. So alas, MOVE-mber!

My friend recently put the fear of God in me by mentioning her observations of the dreaded FUPA on people. Just the notion of developing a FUPA by being sedentary appalls me. What, you ask, is a FUPA? I don't make this stuff up, folks! Urban Dictionary has a harsher definition, that one really cuts deep. It's basically hanging-out-the-front fat over your pubis. It's usually completely preventable with a little self-control, holding upright posture and regular exercise. My fear is compounded by having a totally non functioning thyroid and being reliant on a moving target dose of levothyroxine to make my organs work and body metabolize as it should.

Vashon Athletic Club has made many improvements and I'm impressed with the changes. Check it out. Move with me. Catch you in motion!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home